2022 Harry Potter 50p Coloured Silver Proof Coin
To mark 25 years since the publication of Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, The Royal Mint is celebrating this classic of children’s literature with a collection of UK coins. The idea for Harry Potter, the boy in glasses who didn’t yet know he was a wizard, first came to J.K. Rowling during a delayed train journey from Manchester to London.
From that moment of magic, the Boy Who Lived was imagined into being – an unassuming, eleven-year-old hero destined to face terrible danger, but also find greatness within himself.
The reverse of each coin will feature an original illustration by Jim Kay, the artist who created the first fully illustrated edition of this Harry Potter story.
The first coin will feature Harry Potter, the boy wizard and hero of the books, followed by three more coin designs featuring the Hogwarts Express, Albus Dumbledore, and Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. This is the first time the wizarding world of Harry Potter has appeared on UK coins struck by The Royal Mint.
- The first time the wizarding world of the Harry Potter stories has been celebrated on UK coins
- This first release in a four-coin series
- Struck by the Royal Mint from 92.5% Silver to Proof Quality
- Featuring a lightning bolt and the number 25 to mark 25 years since the publication of Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone
- Includes the works of Jim Kay, the artist who created the first fully illustrated book
- These designs will not be going into circulation
- A magical gift for fans of the Harry Potter stories